Our Operations Manager, Sheryl, was lucky enough to be one of the very first students to complete the Disability First Aid Course offered exclusively by Essential Skills Training and Recruitment.
This course was developed in partnership with key stakeholders in the disability sector to fill the gap in first aid training for people with disabilities. It goes beyond the standard first aid courses by providing additional skills in the following areas;
- Assisting a person in a wheelchair who is having a seizure.
- Assisting a person with a disability in a mental health crisis.
- Assisting a person who is choking in bed or a wheelchair.
- Assisting with infection and pressure sores.
- Assisting with autonomic dysreflexia
- Applying CPR in bed
Sheryl says of the course - "What a great teacher we had , interaction was great and the class had some fantastic people from the industry. Highly recommend any training through Essential Skills."
You must already have a current first aid accreditation (HLTAID003 ) to undertake this course and you will be required to take an online quiz prior to the course date.
The Essential Skills website has information on costs and how to apply.